Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Richmond Cannery Adventure

I've got happy news! We finally have a year's worth of food storage, a 72 hour kit, and a two weeks supply of bottled water.

It feels so good to be obediant and it's a relief to know that whatever else happens in this crazy world, we'll be able to feed our children. We've been working on this goal for a long time. We first worked toward a three month supply. When we reached that goal, we focused on water and emergency kit acquisition. Then we saved and scrimped our pennies together (so long big screen t.v. dream) until we'd saved enough to get the nine months of long-term food storage.

Last Saturday, Todd and I pawned our kids off on some ward members and headed up to the Richmond cannery. We canned 1,100 pounds of wheat and beans in about 5 hours with some help from other cannery patrons.

As the boxes of #10 cans began to pile up, I became worried that we wouldn't even come close to fitting them all into our Acura Legend. Somehow, clever Todd managed to fit all 31 boxes into the car with literally NO room to spare. The trunk was stuffed, our seats were scooted as far forward as they could go, and boxes were piled from floor to ceiling in the back seat.

Before we climbed into our cramped quarters for the drive back, we saw that our poor car was so weighed down that it only had a 1/2 inch clearance from the road! Everytime we went over a bump or a rough patch in the road, we heard a scraping noise. Our muffler was in grave distress! We received many strange looks as drove home on the 64, but thank goodness, we made it home with no permanent damage. And so ends our food storage adventure.

9 comments:

Your favorite sister said...

Good for you! I know that is something I should be doing also. However being over here I have a somewhat good excuse! No bulk stores, canneries or anything of the sort. But I can't wait to dig in once I am stateside. I found a great site that you might be interested in. She cooks with her food storage every day so that she is used to cooking with it. I think the site is http://everydayfoodstorage.blogspot.com You should check it out

Jenna said...

I think this is just wonderful... it makes me think about "setting aside the things of this world" (the big screen t.v.) for instance and getting our priorities straight on what is most important! Hats off to your whole family for accomplishing such a worthy goal. What an incredible relief!

jaesi said...

your making us look bad. I have a couple cans of corn and beans out in my garage...does that count?

Oh that would have been a funny sight to see....Todd and his legs up against the steering wheel.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU!!!!!

Anna said...

Good for you! I always feel good when I have a couple months worth of food in the house - you never know when you're goign to need it! Do you have any photos?

Shawn and Mish said...

Wow! Way to go. I need to do the same. I keep ordering wheat from slc, but I can tell the delivery guy is starting to get annoyed with having to heft my 30 lb boxes of wheat on and off his truck :)

LeAnn said...

Good for you guys! We've had to use our food storage so many times in the past that we're quite depleted and need to make a cannery trip.

heidigoseek said...

good for you brooke! i know the strange looks from the other drivers we worth it. especially when they come knockin' for food someday:)
happy birthday!!

tiff said...

I am proud of you. I am heading to the cannery tomorrow to buy buy buy.

Dave and Marie said...

Brook I just love hearing you in your stories. That is awesome that you guys are so obedient. Ahh maybe someday we will be too ;) take care!