Saturday, September 27, 2008

DELUGE

We had our ward camp out this weekend. I love camping. I love the smell of woodsmoke and crushed pine needles. I love getting the end of my stick red hot in the fire and waving it around in the blackness of the night. I kind of love sleeping in the four man with my five member family (never mind, I don't).


We woke up this morning to the tat tat of rain on our tent. We waited for the rain to stop so we could get up and get breakfast going. It didn't. The rain came down harder and harder, and pretty soon, we found ourselves in a deluge--the last remnants of this week's nor'easter. Whenever I hear the word nor'easter, I feel like I should be out in my yellow rain slicker and cable sweater checking my lobster pots. A rain slicker would have been helpful at this camp out, also maybe a canoe.

No, this isn't a beautiful river meandering through a scenic byway....it is our campsite.




After several hours of rain, things did clear up for a bit. So while Todd was fishing on the pier with Jonah, I took the two littles down to the beach. Check out the boardwalk:





When we arrived at the beach, Ezra found a nice family of horse shoe crabs all lined up neatly from biggest to littlest taking a quiet nap together.


Of course, we weren't wet enough, so Reuben bee-lined it straight for the waves



Isn't it idyllic?






After a beautiful half hour on the beach, the rain picked up again, so back up the boardwalk we went.



8 comments:

tiff said...

do you know that roxy refers to our guest room as "brooke's room" if i accidentally say the other she corrects me, "no, its brook's room!" She even wants to now sleep in "brooke's room" you sure made quite the impression on her. I am so happy you are blogging I can't wait to check it everday!!

Teresa said...

gorgeous picts! I love the one going down the stairs to the beach.
I have to admit, I don't miss the east coast rain. but I do miss the green.

jaesi said...

wish I would have been there. was there a good turn out even with the rain?

How cool are those crabs?!!

Janice said...

It sure was fun going to the camp out and visiting with you Brooke! I had a great time!

CLARA said...

Cute cute cute! It's so awesome that you finally stared a blog! Gosh we need to start like a whole Larson family blog! Wouldn't that be the coolest??!

Lake said...

I love your camping pictures. I can't really say I wish I was there because you know how I feel about camping and being uncomfortable. But I am glad you braved it for some unforgettable memories.

heidigoseek said...

i would love some of these pictures...i don't think i've actually dried out yet. we just put the tent away yesterday.
congrats on your calling. i'm happy for you and for our RS:)

My Three Sons said...

BROOKE! I'm so glad we finally found each other! I thought you were lost to me forever, I was even tempted to call your Dad's office to figure out where you were! Anyway, fun camping. I can't believe you are like 3000 miles away. We'll have to chat on the phone sometime soon so we can catch up.